Salads are amazing for using up the odds and ends in your fridge, the mixes and combinations you can create are infinite and they're the perfect dish for a light lunch on a hot summer's day. A salad doesn't just have to be a plate of leaves though, and can still be a satisfying alternative to a sandwich when made right. I get round this by using a base of some kind of carb and some hot ingredients. On the table within 15 minutes, you couldn't ask for an easier lunch.
- Rocket or other lettuce as the greens
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1/2 an avocado
- Halved cherry tomatoes - + whatever other vegetables need using up
- Spring onions
- Lemon rind
- Balsamic dressing
- Olive oil
- Lemon Juice
- Herbs - Basil and Parsley in this case
- Courgette or other roasted vegetables
- Pasta - whole grain for an extra health kick or substitute for other grains
The veg should be cooked at about 210 degrees celsius for 10-15 minutes along with the garlic and then mixed in with the pasta and other uncooked ingredients. Serve immediately!